For those of you who love SE Portland, it really doesn’t get much better than this. This highly walkable home is centrally located right between the rich amenities of Hawthorne and Division streets in Portland’s historic Ladd’s Addition, the city’s oldest planned residential development. The neighborhood has been established as the Ladd’s Addition Conservation Historic District and, in 1988, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Roughly an eight by ten block neighborhood, Ladd’s is designed on a unique diagonal street pattern and one of a small number in Portland that have the bonus of alleyways. The homes in the district, mostly developed between 1905 and 1930, have been called an “architecturally rich mix of compatible early 20th century styles,” notable for their “continuity of scale, uniform deep setbacks, orientation, and materials” which really makes the neighborhood special.
The home is only a few doors down from the heart of the neighborhood, the Ladd Circle Park and Rose Garden, and only a short walk away to coffee shops, dining & movies. This ’25 English Tudor still retains most of its important original design details, including historic elms out front, coved ceilings, built-ins, hardware, hardwoods, and tile. These features have been preserved and blended with many modern updates both inside and out, including the all important home systems.
The grounds have concrete flatwork and hardscaping integrated around the home and garage. A morning a coffee / tea patio is just outside the front door and has a low Ipe fence facing the home’s historic elm trees in the parkway. Another paver patio is just outside the back door for outdoor entertaining, and is nested between the cottage-like free-standing garage and gardens. Landscaping lights add to the evening mood and the full yard sprinkler system helps keep the gardens fresh in the summer heat.
THE HOME AND RENOVATION
The fully renovated home has many original architectural details throughout including a thoughtful floor plan with five bedrooms, two-and-one-half baths, multiple living areas, vaulted ceilings lit by Noguchi light fixtures, three fireplaces, floor to ceiling windows and tongue & groove vertical cedar siding. The owners say the layout has been just perfect for their growing family as well as entertaining large parties of guests both inside and out.
Natural materials and craftsmanship were at the core of the renovation and are consistent throughout the home. The hardwood floors have a water based Scandinavian finish and are installed with an incredibly unique custom herringbone pattern weave in the homes two living rooms. Built-in maple apple-ply cabinetry is used throughout the homes many built-ins. Modern, trimless, black Fleetwood doors & windows carry throughout much of the home with black powder-coated interior cladding framing the windows and views beyond.
When you enter the home you immediately see the roomy, vaulted, double height great room with living & dining areas, dry bar island, architectural brick fireplace with integrated 65″ Noguchi & Cedar & Moss lighting, Samsung Frame TV, herringbone oak hardwoods and views through the large Fleetwood sliding doors connecting out to the patio and beautiful hillside gardens. Huge windows to the south provide views to the landscaped front yard and out across the Wilcox Estates.
When you head inside the interior sparkles. The newly refinished hardwoods and paint pop the architectural details with its original coved living room ceilings, wood & tile fireplace surround, sash windows and more. Contrast that with modern lighting from DWR and Schoolhouse and you end up with a vintage modern mix. The living room, dining room and sunroom in the front lead to the kitchen with dining nook, bath and bedroom in back. The simplicity and flow of the floor plan works really well.
The updated kitchen has ceiling height Decor cabinets with under cabinet lighting, Ann Sacks tile backsplash, Caesarstone counters,with a Kohler sink, faucets and Aquifer water purifier dropped in. The stainless steel appliances include a Viking gas stove, GE Monogram refrigerator & microwave and Asko dishwasher. The off-kitchen dining nook also works well as an office. In the very back, stairs lead to the upper level or down to the patio and lower level. And the lower level can be fully sealed off from the main level of the home if a separate unit conversion is desired.
The upper level has 3 bedrooms including the primary which has a tuck-away morning coffee lounge or office nook, beautiful windows, skylight and ample storage. The second bedroom has a bonus upper sleeping loft which also has crawl space access. The third bedroom is in the middle right next to the central bath. A generous hallway connects them all and has a roomy storage closet that can also be used as a secret kids bunker. The upper full bath has original floor tile and cabinets along with a tub shower.
The finished basement has an generous family room with egress window, built-in entertainment cabinet center and extra room for gym equipment as well. The sizable laundry room has built-in cabinets with plenty of counters & storage and leads to the separate utility service room and sealed crawl space with extra storage.
Since 2008, the home has been repiped, rewired with new panel, tankless water heater, new lighting and 92% Carrier furnace. The basement has the addition of a John’s Waterproofing French drain with Ultra Sump Pump 3 back-up system. The underground oil tank has been decommissioned and the party sewer line has corrected!
Neighborhood: Ladd’s Addition
2021 Taxes: $9,413.66
Year Built: 1925
Square Footage: 2758 sqft
Lot Size: .10 Acres
Living Rooms: 2
Garage: Free-standing / 2 car, 276 sqft
- Ladd’s Addition is the first Historic District in Portland. In 1977, the City of Portland established the Ladd’s Addition Conservation Historic District and, in 1988, the Ladd’s Addition Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Historic Elms in front parkway.
- Our home maintains much of its original details, features built-ins, hardware and tile and have been blended with modern features, updates and systems over the years to enhance modern living. Most of the common issues found in older homes have been carefully addressed.
- Our grounds have been designed for entertaining and spending time outdoors with landscaping and integrated hardscaped patios and grounds lighting.
- Our home has a back alley with freestanding garage which has loads of possibilities beyond parking cars.
- The main floor has the living room, dining room with adjoining sun-room, kitchen with dining nook, bath and main floor bedroom.
- Coved ceilings in living room
- Hardwood floors
- Beautiful multi-paned windows
- Built-ins in hallway
- Stainless steel appliances
- Counter to ceiling Decor cabinets with under cabinet lighting
- Caesarstone Counters
- Ann Sacks tile
- Kohler sink & faucets
- Kohler Aquifer water purifier
- Ge Monogram refrigerator & micro
- Viking gas stove
- Asko dishwasher
- Marmoleum flooring
- The upper level has 3 bedrooms, the first has a loft space as well as crawl space access. The master has a skylight and extra space for a morning coffee lounge or office.
- Generous hallway has a skylight and a closet room that can be used for storage or as secret nook space for kids
- 2nd full bath with original floor tile and tub shower
- Basement level closes off from main and upper levels of the home
- Large clean living room with built in entertainment wall with shelving & storage, egress window and bonus space for workout equipment
- Generous laundry room with cabinets, counters & storage
- Utility service room for furnace with sealed crawl space for extra storage
GROUNDS AND LANDSCAPING
- New concrete flatwork at entrance walk, front landing, west sidewalk, stairs to alley & garage entry drive
- Front tea patio enclosed with Ipe fence
- Front & back patios, walks, parking strip landing made with Mutual Materials pavers
- Landscape Lights with Timer within yard
- Full yard sprinkler system with front patio plumed for drip. Elm tree beds plumbed for irrigation but not installed.
FULL HOME FEATURES
- Leased ADT security system
- Cordless Hunter Douglas blinds
HOME UPDATES & RENOVATIONS
- Refinished hardwoods throughout
- New exterior paint, house, garage & fence
- New Roof
- New Primary Bedroom Bluetooth Opening Skylight
- New Electrical & New Panel
- New Noritz Tankless Water Heater
- New 92% Carrier Furnace
- Hardwired Fire Alarms
- DWR Lighting in Dining Room, Primary Bedroom & Stairwell
- New Kitchen
- New full house plumbing
- New hardwoods upstairs
- Schoolhouse Electric lighting
- New Furnace
- New Tankless Hot Water Heater
- John’s Waterproofing Encapsulated Crawl Space
- John’s Waterproofing French Drains added with Ultra Sump 3 Back-up System with auxillary battery in basement
- New Concrete Flatwork, Entrance Walk, Front Landing, West Sidewalk, Stairs to Alley & Garage Entry Drive
- Insulated basement and main floor, upstair walls potentially by previous when re-sided.
- Decommissioned Oil tank
- Corrected Party Line Sewer
- New Siding Early 2000’s